Sunday, May 16, 2010

The week in knit 8: Sedalia Fiber Festival!

Every year for the last 3 years I have looked forward to this time of year. Partly because it's my birthday, but mostly because it is time for our local Fiber Festival.

Of course, whenever I say that to my non-knitting friends (or muggles) they joke about eating bran flakes or taking Metamucil, and I have to clarify that I'm referring to the equivalent of a Comic Book Convention, but for people who knit, crochet, spin, weave etc.



The Sedalia Fiber Festival is host to many great exhibitors, authors, and classes. There's alpacas, llamas, sheep, goats, as much yarn or roving anyone could need, and wheels and looms to spare! Raffle prizes are held throughout the day. This year there were also 3 special raffles. One for a new spinning wheel, one for a loom, and one for a drum carder.

The raffle for the Spinning wheel was pretty intense. These are some of the people waiting to hear the number of the winner.



We also had some raffle prizes which helped raise money for Tyler Peterson. Tyler is an awesome little guy who has a benign brain tumor. When he first started going up to UVA for radiation and saw all the other people having to go through it too, he wanted to help! So he's been collecting toys and donations, and his mother is crocheting hats for other radiation and chemo patients.


I'm really looking forward to delivering this box of donated toys and yarn! I think he'll be really excited :)


I'd like to review some of my treasures from yesterday.

My first purchase was this lovely yarn from Wolle's Yarn Creations. As you can see it has a beautiful, looong color change. She had a Citron knit up in it and it was beautiful. I think that's what I'll make with it as well, I have a brown dress it'll look great with!



I also got *sigh* a new bag. I love bags, I think I've mentioned it...

This bag comes from a local designer, Mariah Clark. It's so pretty!!!



And look at this, there's little loops to rest your DPNs in so they don't get all jumbled up inside. No more having a few stitches drop off!




I was very good, that's all I bought for myself!!!

Dianne bought me this awesome little organizer.

It unfolds, and has a space to put your interchangeable needle points, a zipper pouch for all your notions, and 4 little pockets. It came from Lawre's Laine's booth. Check out those cats!
Dana insisted on buying me something too, even though Dianne had told me the organizer was from both of them. So, she dragged me over to Studio 43's booth and had me select a circular piece that I could use to enhance my shawl pin. I picked one out that looks great with my Traveling Woman shawl.



I had an absolute blast, even if I nearly passed out on the way home. Next year we need to make sure to get the weather to be a little cooler ;)

1 comment:

  1. That is one beautiful bag. We'll have to count up how many knitting bags (size doesn't matter) we have and compare notes. lol

    The Wolle's you chose is gorgeous. I plan on tagging her fiber either on Etsy or at Shenandoah. I'm glad you had a good day at the festival and I hope you enjoyed your birthday too.

    I really enjoyed photos you took, especially the one of everyone waiting on the wheel raffle. Have a good one and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete